THEORYCENTER Archives

Center for Theory

THEORYCENTER@LISTSERV.UTA.EDU

From:
"Morris, Timothy R" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Center for Theory <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Oct 2010 10:43:21 -0500
A lot of items on that list are depressingly true, but not
"6. Intellectual expectations are falling."  I used to hear that
when I was in graduate school 30 years ago, and it was equally
untrue then.  The reason, in fact, that it keeps taking longer and
longer to earn a humanities PhD is that candidates are expected
to know more, publish more, master broader and broader
fields, travel to more meetings, network more broadly across
various disciplines and interdisciplinary groups.

As a consequence, "20. Few ideas are exchanged" is not really
accurate in my experience either.  As several have pointed out,
there's this theory list itself for one thing :)

Tim Morris, Professor and Associate Chair
English Department Box 19035
University of Texas at Arlington
503 W Third St Carlisle 203
Arlington TX 76019