THEORYCENTER Archives

Center for Theory

THEORYCENTER@LISTSERV.UTA.EDU

From:
"Alaimo, Stacy" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Center for Theory <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Apr 2013 19:10:47 -0500
Graduate students interested in posthumanism, animal studies, science studies,
biopolitics, and environmental studies may be interested in my summer I course, which features
theories by Jaques Derrida, Karl Steel, Cary Wolfe, Ursula Heise, Sarah Whatmore, Oran Catts, and more,
along with literature, visual art, and multimedia.

Summer I: 2013
English 6370: Topics in Literature and Environment. Species: Extinction, Engineering, Ethics.
T/R 1:00-5:00.

Course Description:
This class will investigate the concept of species, paying particular attention to biodiversity,
extinction, and genetic engineering. We will begin with Karl Steel's How to Make a Human:
Animals and Violence in the Middle Ages and read a bit of Darwin's work but most of the
class will focus on questions regarding species in the contemporary moment. We will read
and discuss two novels, Atwood's Oryx and Crake and Ozeki's All Over Creation; one comic
work of nonfiction, Douglas Adams' Last Chance to See; along with poetry, science writing,
 and theory, including Cary Wolfe's Before the Law: Humans and Other Animals in a Biopolitical Frame.
 We will also examine visual art, bioart, multimedia works, websites and film.
Six short papers and two presentations will be required.

cheers,
Stacy

Dr. Stacy Alaimo
Professor of English
Coordinator of the ESS (Environmental and Sustainability Studies) Minor
Distinguished Teaching Professor
University of Texas at Arlington
http://www.uta.edu/english/alaimo/