IO-L Archives

UTA International Office

IO-L@LISTSERV.UTA.EDU

From:
Julie A Uzdavinis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
UTA International Office <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 May 2004 11:07:14 -0500
Attention International Students - Deadline Approaching

WED May 12.  Last day to turn in OPT applications if you are completing
studies in May. Note: This includes all students who are graduating in
absentia in August, because your effective completion of requirements is
MAY. Applications and instructions are available on our website
(www.uta.edu/io <http://www.uta.edu/io>) and in the International Office.

Travel Information:

Before you Travel:  Obtain a travel signature on your I-20 at the
International Office. Check to make sure your I-20 is correct (right major,
financial support, degree level, name, birthdate, completion date). Check to
make sure your F-1 visa is still valid. Check to make sure your passport is
still valid.

Travel Signature: The signature is valid for one year. However, if you are
applying for a visa or renewing your passport, you should request a new
signature. The International Office will take 3 days to process travel
signatures. There will be no signatures given on the day of travel.
Requirements: student must be in status and eligible to continue enrollment
at UTA. Students must clear all bursar's holds. Students with probationary
admission or on academic probation can not obtain a travel signature until
grades are posted, after May 18.

Obtaining Visa: If your visa in your passport has expired, you must obtain a
new F-1 visa to return to the US in F-1 status. You cannot obtain a visa in
the US. Students applying for a new visa will need a transcript, new
financial support documents, a valid and accurate I-20 endorsed for travel.
You can also request a letter from the International Office which indicates
you are a student in good standing and eligible to enroll upon your return.
Such letters will take at least 3 days. Some US Consulates and Embassies may
have additional requirements. For information on any special requirements,
check the specific Consulate or Embassy website through
<http://usembassy.state.gov>

Obtaining Visa in Canada or Mexico as a Third Country National (TCN): You
may need to obtain a Canadian or Mexican visa before leaving the US. For
more information, visit http://www.dfait-maeci.gc.ca/can-am/menu-en.asp for
Canada or <http://www.sre.gob.mx/dallas/> for Mexico. You will also need to
make an appointment at the US Consulate in Canada or Mexico before leaving
the US. For information about scheduling the appointment, visit
<http://travel.state.gov/tcn.html>. Some Consulates in Canada or Mexico may
not accept applications for visas from TCNs. Check the individual website of
the Consulate you are planning to visit before scheduling your appointment.
Caution: If your visa is denied, you will need to return home directly from
Canada or Mexico, without returning to the US. You will not be allowed to
re-enter the US through the automatic revalidation program.

Have a good weekend,

Julie Uzdavinis
International Program Coordinator
The University of Texas at Arlington