IO-L Archives

UTA International Office

IO-L@LISTSERV.UTA.EDU

From:
Julie A Uzdavinis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
UTA International Office <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jul 2004 12:34:18 -0500
OPT DEADLINE FOR SUMMER GRADUATES.

Students graduating in August who wish to apply for post-completion OPT must
bring their completed applications to the Office of International Education
by Friday, August 6. Most applications will require a new I-20 which the
student will need to sign before the application is sent to immigration. The
new I-20s will be ready for signing on Monday, August 9. Please note that
since graduation is Saturday, August 14 and since the application must be
RECEIVED by immigration prior to graduation, and since the Office of
International Education staff will be involved with new student orientation
August 6, 10 and 13, we can not accept any application for OPT based on
summer graduation after Friday August 6.

TRAVEL ADVISORY FOR STUDENTS PLANNING ON RENEWING VISAS IN MEXICO

The Office of International Education strongly discourages students from
going to Mexico to apply for new U.S. visas.  Students have been asked by
the consulates in Mexico to surrender their I-94s upon application for a
U.S. visa, and have been told that due to security checks visa applications
will take 10-12 weeks.  Once you make a visa application you are no longer
able to reenter the US using the "automatic visa revalidation" provision in
the law that citizens of some countries are eligible to use.  If this
situation occurs, then your only options are to remain in Mexico until the
U.S. visa application is approved, or return to your home country.  Please
contact an immigration advisor if you have any questions about travel, or
about this announcement.

Julie Uzdavinis
International Education Advisor
The University of Texas at Arlington