IO-L Archives

UTA International Office

IO-L@LISTSERV.UTA.EDU

From:
Julie Walkin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
UTA International Office <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Nov 2002 09:03:15 -0600
Dear International Students:

Please take note of the following five topics that may apply to you as an
international student.  If you have any questions, feel free to contact an
advisor in the International Office.  We are open 8am-5pm, M-F, tel.
817-272-2355.

1.  Requirement:        NEW Registration requirements for persons from one
of five countries
2.  Recommendation:     Carry Immigration Documents with you if you plan to
travel within the U.S. (no signature required)
3.  Requirement:        Request Your I-20 to be Signed if you Plan to Travel
outside U.S.
4.  Requirement:        Reminder about AR-11: Notifying INS of your new
residence address

******IMPORTANT NOTICE******

Any non-immigrant male age 16 and over who was either born in or is a
citizen of one of the following countries:

Iran, Iraq, Libya, Sudan or Syria

is now required to register at the Dallas District INS Office at 8101 N.
Stemmons Freeway, between November 15 and December 16. This pertains to
anyone who entered the U.S. on or before September 10, 2002. Anyone required
to register who does not do so by December 16,  will be considered out of
status. If someone required to register leaves the U.S. before December 16,
however, he is not required to register at INS.

Special registration is required if all of the following refers to you:
*       You are male, age 16 or over
*       You are a citizen of or were born in Iran, Iraq, Libya, Sudan, Syria
*       You were admitted to the US on or before September 10, 2002
*       You will remain in the US until at least December 16, 2002
*       You are in a non-immigrant status except for A or G status (A US
Permanent Resident or Asylum applicant is not subject to registration)

Registration requires a visit in person to INS. You will be photographed and
fingerprinted and interviewed. You should take with you all your immigration
documents and proof of enrollment, proof of address and other documents
establishing your identity and purpose in the US. The International Office
can help with a letter of enrollment if needed.

Please note that if you are in the special registration program you will be
required to re-register in one year, and you will be required to leave the
US through specific ports of departure, which does not include all US
airports.

For further information, see the INS web site at http://www.ins.usdoj.gov
and Federal Register for November 6, pp. 67765-67768 at
http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?dbname=2002_register&doci
d=02-28381-filed

************

Due to increased patrolling along the U.S. border, if you plan to travel
within the U.S., we recommend (although it is not required) that you carry
your immigration documents that show evidence of your student status.  These
include:
your Passport or a valid driver's license and a
valid I-20 or DS2019 (formerly IAP-66) -- no signature is required

************

If you plan to travel outside the U.S. during the winter vacation, please
make sure that you have all the necessary immigration documents to re-enter
the U.S.  All students must have:
valid Passport,
valid U.S. Visa Stamp,
valid I-20 or DS2019 (formerly IAP-66) with a signature for re-entry

If the F-1 or J-1 visa stamp in your passport will expire befroe you return
to the U.S. or you are a person who changed your status after entering the
U.S., you must apply for a visa stamp in your passport prior to re-entering
the U.S.  Visas cannot be renewed in the U.S.  If you require a new visa
stamp, you must apply in perons to a U.S. embassy or consulate.  Thjese
offices are only located outside the U.S. and usually hold special hours
around the Christmas holidays.  Applicants are usually requeested to present
the following documents:
Valid Passport
Valid I-20 or DS2019 (formerly IAP-66) with a signature for re-entry

Applications for a new I-20 or DS2019 must be made at the International
Office at least one week in advance.  Proof of financial support less than 6
months old is required.
Letter verifying current enrollment
Official University transcripts
Proof of financial support

F-2 and J-2 spouses or dependents must also meet the above passport and visa
requirements for re-entry to the U.S.  IF they are not accompanied by the
F-1 or J-1 studnets, they must have an I-20 or DS2019 noted for use by
dependents and endorsed for travel.
Note:  If you are traveling to Canada or Mexico, and have an expired visa in
your passport and are staying outside the u>S. for fewer than 30 days, you
will not be required to obtain a new visa.  To re-enter the U.S. from Canada
or Mexico, studnets hsould not relignquish their I-94 when leaving the U.S.
At the time of re-entery, studnet should present their valid I-94 to the
immigration officer.  Student who fail to keep their I-94 for the purpose of
re-entry will be required to make applicaiton for a visa at the U.S. embassy
or consulate.
If you ahve any queistion about these regulations or the docuements needed
for travel outside the U.S. and re-entry, please stop by the International
Office and consult with an advisor.

Within 10 days of moving to a new residence (e.g. apartment), international
students must notify the INS by completing and mailing the Form AR-11 known
as the "Alien's Change of Address Card".  The form is available in the
International Office or can be downloaded from the INS website www.ins.gov.
Go to the right hand column under "Hot Topics" and click on "INS Forms
Online".