SOCI-L Archives

Sociology Students

SOCI-L@LISTSERV.UTA.EDU

Sociology Students <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Sep 2001 18:35:58 -0700
I wonder how one can still assume “if he did…”, if he
has gone through all the contents of both the links I
provided; clearly substantiating that he didn’t.

Isn’t it surprising how it spooked out a great number
of easily duped people (referring to the chain of
forwards I and many of my friends received)?Some
“people of God” are using this stuff dishonestly (as
these prophecies are untrue) to warn people against
"Evil" and great misery that is predicted to be
resulting after this tragedy, inviting them to come to
their "true faith" and "protection" (no offense).

As for sociology students, I consider it could be a
good case study in understanding how urban legends
originate and spread and how much they affect in
shaping public opinion normally and in time of crisis
and who benefits from by propagating them.

The attached picture might serve as further
elaboration of my concern.

http://www.urbanlegends.about.com/library/weekly/aa091101b.htm