THEORYCENTER Archives

Center for Theory

THEORYCENTER@LISTSERV.UTA.EDU

From:
Karl Petruso <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Center for Theory <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Apr 2004 07:24:05 -0500
Ben--
Very impressive. Looking forward to the fall symposium.

On Apr 13, 2004, at 7:44 PM, Ben Agger wrote:

> I have some news about Center for Theory and Fast Capitalism:
>
> We are postponing Stacy Alaimo's April 22nd informal theory colloquium
> until
> the fall semester.  We have also decided to postpone Doug Kellner and
> Tim
> Luke's symposium on terrorism until the fall, when their visits will
> coincide with the posting of the first number of Fast Capitalism and
> with
> the Presidential election.  Funds to support the Luke/Kellner
> symposium are
> being generously provided by the Dean of the School of Urban and Public
> Affairs.
>
> We continue to receive submissions to Fast Capitalism.  So far, two
> papers
> have been accepted and others are in the process of review and
> revision-and-resubmission.  Many of you at UTA have been involved in
> the
> reviewing process, for which I am grateful.
>
> I am very excited to announce that Fast Capitalism will be running a
> series
> of interviews with three of the most important architects and
> theorists of
> the New Left and SDS, Tom Hayden, Richard Flacks and Todd Gitlin.
> These
> interviews will deal with the general subject of "Port Huron at 40:
> Looking
> Back, Moving Forward."  Funds to support these interviews have been
> generously provided by the Provost and the Vice-President for Research.
>
> I will soon announce an end-of-semester general business meeting for
> Center
> for Theory participants at which we can discuss plans and ideas for the
> upcoming year.

Regards,
--kmp

Karl M. Petruso
Professor of Anthropology and
Associate Dean, Honors College
University of Texas at Arlington
http://www.uta.edu/anthropology/petruso/

"Democracy is a beautiful thing, except for that part about letting
just any old yokel vote."