THEORYCENTER Archives

Center for Theory

THEORYCENTER@LISTSERV.UTA.EDU

From:
"Agger, Ben" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Center for Theory <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 May 2010 14:21:16 -0500
The lineup for next spring's Center colloquia is attached and pasted in, below.  These are tentative titles.  We are addressing, in different ways, how academic work can be relevant politically at a time when universities are being privatized and run on a corporate model.  The military-industrial complex, as Eisenhower termed it, has become the military-industrial-educational complex.  One wonders how critical academics can make a difference in this environment.  We will examine these challenges next spring.

I'd ask faculty in SUPA and English to forward this lineup to their relevant constituencies.  Thanks.

Spring 2011 Center for Theory Colloquia:  ‘Academic Work and the Eleventh Thesis’
[dates/times TBA]

Enid Arvidson, “What's Still Relevant About the L.A. School in the 21st Century”
Carl Grodach, "Cultural Economy Planning in Creative Cities: Discourse and Practice"
Stuart Henry, “Dangers of Misuse/Opportunistic Use of Interdisciplinarity to Create Administrative Efficiencies in Academic Programming”