THEORYCENTER Archives

Center for Theory

THEORYCENTER@LISTSERV.UTA.EDU

From:
Ben Agger <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Center for Theory <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Aug 2004 19:17:29 -0500
I hope that you all had a good summer.  This should be an eventful autumn,
on many fronts.  Sometime during the fall semester we should be posting the
first number of the new electronic journal, Fast Capitalism
(www.fastcapitalism.com).  Over the summer we have received and reviewed
many submissions.  As of now, we have accepted nine papers for the first
number of the journal:

Doug Kellner, "Media Culture and the Triumph of the Spectacle"

Hannah Rippin, "Simple Concept, Mobile Outcome:  The Mobile Phone in
Everyday Life"

Jack Shuler, "Ever Onward:  The Frontier Myth and the Information Age"

Robert Goldman et al, "Speed Scapes:  Representing Time-Space Relations in
Corporate TV Ads"

Robert Hassan, "Timescapes of the Network Society"

Norman Denzin, "The War on Knowledge and Truth under Fast Capital"

Robert Williams, "Politics and Self in the Age of Digital Re(pro)ducibility"

Charles Lemert, regular column called "Slow Thoughts on Old Subjects," the
first installment of which will be on "Niebuhr's America"

Emanuel Smikun, "Valuable Objects and their Differentiation in Social Space
and Time"

This is shaping up to be a truly international journal; authors of the nine
accepted papers work in academic settings on three continents.

We are already planning the second and third numbers of the journal.  In
addition to publishing regular article-length contributions in those
numbers, we will also run symposia on "Port Huron at 40" (interviews with
founders of SDS and the New Left including Tom Hayden, Mark Rudd, Todd
Gitlin and Dick Flacks) and on "The Internet and Academic Life."

I hope to see all of you at our informal symposia during this coming
academic year.  If you wnat to present your work in a friendly setting,
please let me know.