THEORYCENTER Archives

Center for Theory

THEORYCENTER@LISTSERV.UTA.EDU

From:
"Philp, Kenneth" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Center for Theory <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Sep 2010 11:57:37 -0500
Hi Ben, Thanks for sending the depressing article in the Chronicle of Higher Education. I anticipate new initiatives at UTA to increase student retention including a a standardized syllabus, on line classes, and common student outcomes testing for 1312 us history. If the state has further budget cuts next year all the liberal arts faculty may be teaching 3-3 or even 4-4. That would solve the problem of hours  on campus. This frontal assault on faculty autonomy is part of the broader anti -intellectualism playing out in American society today.  I wonder if north texas has ripped out its office phones and curtailed the use of printer paper and copies of printed class outlines. The upcoming cuts in travel funds will also keep faculty close to home. Nonetheless, students rarely come by to discuss their academic work. Ken