One of our current students, working on an internship at one of our Advisory Board firms, has asked me the following question:

In a consumer survey he intends to ask about awareness of competitive brands in a category, both unaided and aided. He will ask the aided question only if the focal brand is not mentioned in the unaided question. The question is, how should the responses to the two questions (% naming unaided and % agreeing aided) be combined to obtain a single awareness measure for the focal brand? Is there even a rationale for doing such a combination?

Thanks for thinking about this one, too.

Regards,
John

John Bassler, Ph.D., Director, MSMR Program
The University of Texas at Arlington
(817) 272-2340 (office)
(866) 296-3256 (toll-free)
(214) 212-6321 (wireless)