Program Extension Needed?

All students should take time to check the date of expected completion (line 5) on their current I-20.  A student with an I-20 expiring in May 2003 must bring a completed extension request form signed by the academic advisor and proof of finances for the extended time to the International Office as soon as possible.  Students who request an extension after May 12th   run the risk of not having the program extension process complete by the expiration.  Production of I-20s under the new SEVIS system is considerably more complicated and time consuming.  Previously one or two-day service was possible, but during peak times (beginning and ending of semesters) 5-10 working days is needed to prepare and sign documents.   Students who request extension after May 12th run the risk of not having the program extension process complete by the expiration.  Students who do not complete the extension process by the expiration date on the I-20 will be considered out of status by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS).with the INS.

Jay P Horn

Assistant Director

International Office

University of Texas at Arlington