New International Students

Changes in Social Security Application

The Social Security Office in Arlington has recently agreed to take
application for social security numbers for students who do not have a job
offer letter.  Prior to New International Student Orientations for Fall 2003
the International Office contacted the SSN Office in Arlington and they
stated that the new policy for applications for SSN #s required that the
applicants be enrolled and have a job offer letter in hand.  It appears that
policy has been changed.

Students who want to apply for SSN #s should plan to request a letter.
Requests for SSN letters are not being taken in the International Office.
In order to request a letter from the I.O, students should go to Guadalupe
room (2nd floor of the U.C.) from 9am-12pm on the following dates:

Thursday, September 4
 Monday, September 8
Thursday, September 11

Students should bring:
Passport
I-20
I-94
The International Office will be offering three additional Social Security
shuttles for new students on Friday, September 5; Friday, September 12;
Friday, September 19; and Friday, September 26.  All leave at 8:30am from
the North side of the University Center
*     In order to ride the shuttle, you must REQUEST A LETTER from the
International Office on Thursday, September 4 from 9am-12pm; Monday,
September 8 from 9am-12pm or Thursday from 9am-12pm in the Guadalupe room of
the University Center.  Please note that requests will only be handled in
the Guadalupe, not the International Office.
*     You must also SIGN UP for the shuttle, which you can do at the
International Office, or in the Guadalupe on the days that we will be
issuing letters.  Seating is extremely limited, so please sign up as soon as
possible.  Only those who sign up and have the letter from the I.O. will be
able to ride the shuttle.

Social Security Shuttle on Fridays:
9/5, 9/12, 9/19, 9/26 at 8:30am, leave from the North side of the U.C.
Social Security Letters from the I.O.:
9/4, 9/8, 9/11 from 9am-12pm
in CONCHO, UC
Contact person:
Julie Uzdavinis, 817.272.2355Security Shuttles!

Jay P Horn
Assistant Director
International Office
University of Texas at Arlington