Staff Development Opportunities (Registration/Training Calendar)
(Staff Development Home)  (Human Resources Home)

September 2008

Note: Classes marked with an (8) are part of the CORE 8 program.
Classes marked with an (AP) are part of the Indispensable
Administrative Assistant program. Classes marked by a (T) are part of
our Trailblazers: Pathways to Effective Supervision program.

Maverick 101: New Employee Orientation (8)

If you are new to UT Arlington or if you are an existing employee
looking to reconnect with the pulse of the University, then I’ve got
the class for you.

What: Maverick 101: New Employee Orientation
When: Wednesday, September 3rd, 2008, 8:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m.
Where: Wetsel Service Center Room 200
Who: Shawn DuMond and a host of key UT Arlington department leaders.

Come learn about the exciting happenings here at UT Arlington and hear
from key departments that want to make your work and life easier and
more fulfilling.

Customer Service 101 (8)

How can I best serve my customers? How do I deal with difficult
customers? If you’re looking for answers to these questions then this
is the class for you.

What: Customer Service 101
When: Thursday, September 4th, 2008, 2:00 p.m.-4:00 p.m.
Where: Wetsel Service Center room 200
Who: Shawn DuMond

Come learn what it means to deliver knock-your-socks-off customer
service.

Fundamental Skills for Supervisors/Managers (T) (AP)

If you are a first time supervisor/manager looking for the key tools
for success in your new role or a longtime supervisor/manager, then
you don’t want to miss this opportunity to learn and grow. This course
deals with the essential skills and knowledge for all supervisors and
mangers.

What: Fundamental Skills for Supervisors/Managers
When: Wednesday, September 10th, 2:00 p.m.-4:00 p.m.
Where: Wetsel Service Center room 200
Who: Shawn DuMond

Participants will learn best practices for communication, coaching,
dealing with difficult employees, and performance enhancement.

AHA HeartSavers: First Aid with CPR and AED

  Would you know what to do if someone around you was having a heart
attack?

What: AHA HeartSavers: First Aid with CPR and AED
When: Wednesday, September 17th, 2008, 9:00 a.m. -12:00 p.m.
Where: Environmental Health & Safety Building, 500 Summit Ave.
Who: Environmental Health and Safety Trainers

The skills you learn here could save a life. Participants will receive
CPR certification card.

Managing Across Generations (T)

The needs and expectations of the next generation entering the work
force today are greatly different from the generation on the verge of
retirement. This course help managers and supervisors understand the
needs and expectations of their own generation and other generations.

What: Managing Across Generations
When: Thursday, September 18th, 2008, 2:00 p.m.-4:00 p.m.
Where: Wetsel Service Center Room 200
Who: Shawn DuMond

Participants will also explore how to relate to other generation
without giving up their own generational identity.

Professional Telephone Techniques (8)

This course is a basic introduction to telephone etiquette and
customer service skills.  Learn to develop and utilize listening and
speaking skills for better communication between the customer and
yourself.  Discover what to do and say when a phone call becomes
difficult.

What: Professional Telephone Techniques
When: Tuesday September 23rd, 2008, 9:00 a.m.-11:00 p.m.
Where: Wetsel Service Center room 200
Who: Shawn DuMond

A little effort and the right knowledge will go a long way in having a
professional phone conversation.

Lunch-N-Learn: The Importance of Incorporating Stretching Into Your
Exercise Routine

This presentation will inform people about not only the importance of
stretching, but will give information about all different types of
stretches and ways to stretch that are most beneficial for involvement
in exercise and improving function in everyday life activities.

What: The Importance of Incorporating Stretching Into Your Exercise
Routine
When: Wednesday, September 24th, 2008, 12:00 p.m.-1:00 p.m.
Where: Maverick Activity Center 101B
Who: Jaime Maddox, Graduate Assistant at the University of Texas at
Arlington.

Bring your sack lunch and a notepad.

Interested in Technical/Computer classes?

For a full up to date list of computer training classes or to register
for a computer class, please visit the OIT Training website.

http://www.uta.edu/oit/clientservices/training

Contact Shawn DuMond by e-mail at [log in to unmask] or by phone at Ext:
2-5518 with your questions or comments.

OUR MISSION: "It is the purpose of the Staff Development Office of The
University of Texas at Arlington to empower the employees of our
University by providing educational opportunities in the areas of
Professional Development, Personal Growth and Family Enrichment."