Staff Development Opportunities(Registration/Training Calendar)
(Staff Development Home)  (Human Resources Home)

October 2009

Note: Classes marked with an (8) are part of the CORE 8 program.
Classes marked with an (AP) are part of the Indispensable
Administrative Assistant program. Classes marked by a (T) are part of
our Trailblazers: Pathways to Effective Supervision program.

Maverick 101: New Employee Orientation (8)

If you are new to UT Arlington or if you are an existing employee
looking to reconnect with the pulse of the University, then I’ve got
the class for you.

What: Maverick 101: New Employee Orientation
When: Wednesday, October 7th, 2009, 8:00 a.m.- 12:00 p.m.
Where: Wetsel Service Center Room 200
Who: Rosa Newman, and a host of key UT Arlington department leaders.

Come learn about the exciting happenings here at UT Arlington and hear
from key departments that want to make your work and life easier and
more fulfilling.

Customer Service 101 (8)

How can I best serve my customers? How do I deal with difficult
customers? If you’re looking for answers to these questions then this
is the class for you.

What: Customer Service 101
When: Thursday, October 8th, 2009, 2:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Where: Wetsel Service Center, Room 200
Who: Rosa Newman

Come learn what it means to deliver knock-your-socks-off customer
service.

Professionalism In The Workplace (AP)

No matter what your title reads, you are an essential element in the
success of your organization. In order for you to fulfill the
responsibilities of your role, you must be able to present yourself
and your ideas with a great deal of professionalism.

What: Professionalism In The Workplace
When: October 13th, 2009, 9:00 a.m.-11:00 a.m.
Where: Wetsel Service Center Room 200
Who: Jake Allen

This course is designed to help you identify and develop those needed
skills for projecting and maintaining professional work relationships
and confidence in the workplace.

Effective Employee Appraisals (T) (AP)

This course will teach you the importance of the performance review
and how it can be used as a tool to develop your employees and your
teams. In addition you'll learn other ways to recognize and reward
your employees and fellow team members and create a win/win atmosphere
within your department.

What: Effective Employee Appraisals
When: Wednesday, October 14th, 2009, 9:00 a.m.-11:00 a.m.
Where: Wetsel Service Center Room 200
Who: Shawn DuMond

This is a great class to help you begin the new evaluation year on the
right foot and be even more prepared for evaluation time next year.

AHA HeartSavers: First Aid with CPR and AED

Would you know what to do if someone around you was having a heart
attack?

What: AHA HeartSavers: First Aid with CPR and AED
When: Wednesday, October 14th, 2009, 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
Where: Environmental Health & Safety Building: Training Room, 500
Summit Ave.
Who: Environmental Health and Safety Trainers

The skills you learn here could save a life. Participants will receive
CPR certification card.

Real Issues/Real Talk: Computer Security – Are Social Networks like
Facebook and Linkedin risks to the University?

This presentation will provide an overview of the various social
networks and how they could potentially create risks for the University.

What: Real Issues/Real Talk: Computer Security
When: October 15, 2009, 12:00 – 1:00 PM
Where: Wetsel Service Center Room 200
Who: Matt Fager, Information Security Office

Space is limited. For questions, please email [log in to unmask] or
call 2-5100.

Lunch will be served.

Professional Telephone Techniques (8)

This course is a basic introduction to telephone etiquette and
customer service skills.  Learn to develop and utilize listening and
speaking skills for better communication between the customer and
yourself.  Discover what to do and say when a phone call becomes
difficult.

What: Professional Telephone Techniques
When: Tuesday, October 20th, 2009, 9:00 a.m.-11: 00 a.m.
Where: Wetsel Service Center, Room 200
Who: Rosa Newman

A little effort and the right knowledge will go a long way in having a
professional phone conversation.

Food For Thought: Do You Get Enough Zzzs?

Getting an adequate amount of sleep can significantly improve the
mind, body, and health.  Come find out how much is really enough, how
difficult it is to get this amount, and tips to overcome this
challenge.  Presented by Linda Nguyen, Campus Recreation Intern and a
senior Kinesiology Major at the University of Texas at Arlington.

What: Do You Get Enough Zzzs?
When: Wednesday, October 21st, 2009, 12:00 p.m.-1:00 p.m.
Where: Maverick Activities Center, 101B
Who: Linda Nguyen, Campus Recreation Intern and a senior Kinesiology
Major at the University of Texas at Arlington.

Bring a notepad and your lunch.

Attitude: It Colors Everything  (AP)

With so many situations and circumstances out of control in and around
us, it is comforting to know that there is one thing we can control
our attitude. Maintaining a positive attitude in the face of
difficulty as well and success makes a world of difference in how you
function in your work place and how people interact with you.

What: Attitude: It Colors Everything
When: Thursday, October 22nd, 2009, 2:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Where: Wetsel Service Center Room 200
Who: Jake Allen

This class is designed to help you explore the tools necessary to
having and maintaining the right attitude. In addition, we will
discuss how to deal with those whose attitude is difficult to deal with.

Welcoming Diversity (8)

This workshop is an experiential, interactive program designed to
promote awareness and increased sensitivity to the many similarities
and differences among individuals and groups in our society.  Done in
an upbeat, hopeful tone, the program focuses on developing self-pride,
examining stereotypes, and learning skills in responding to
prejudicial jokes, remarks, and slurs. Participants will also discover
how to be more attentive to diversity and racism in the workplace and
community.

What: Welcoming Diversity
When: Tuesday, October 27th, 2009, 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Where: Wetsel Service Center, Room 200
Who: Eunice Currie and Shawn DuMond

Lunch will be provided. Please dress in comfortable/casual attire.

Managing Across Generations (T)

The needs and expectations of the next generation entering the work
force today are greatly different from the generation on the verge of
retirement. This course helps managers and supervisors understand the
needs and expectations of their own generation and other generations.

What: Managing Across Generations
When: Wednesday, October 29th, 2009, 2:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Where: Wetsel Service Center, Room 200
Who: Shawn DuMond

Participants will also explore how to relate to other generations
without giving up their own generational identity.

Interested in Technical/Computer classes?

For a full up to date list of computer training classes or to register
for a computer class, please visit the OIT Training website.

http://www.uta.edu/oit/cs/training/index.php

Contact Shawn DuMond by e-mail at [log in to unmask] or by phone at Ext:
2-5518 with your questions or comments.

OUR MISSION: "It is the purpose of the Staff Development Office of The
University of Texas at Arlington to empower the employees of our
University by providing educational opportunities in the areas of
Professional Development, Personal Growth and Family Enrichment."