If you are having problems viewing this email, see the Web version.

A Message from President James D. Spaniolo

Monday, June 18, 2012

A Personal Decision

To the UT Arlington Community:

President James D. Spaniolo

After careful thought, I have concluded it is the appropriate time to pass the baton and let others continue the stewardship of our remarkable institution. It has been the highest honor of my career to have served as your president for the past eight-and-a-half years, and I will devote myself in the months ahead to assuring a smooth transition in leadership.

I am so proud of where the University is today. UT Arlington’s record-setting achievements demonstrate what we have accomplished together. No matter the measure, our institution has made great progress in the past decade. UT Arlington is thriving and is well positioned for the future, and the transformation we have ignited will guide the way for years to come. Our next president will join a University on track to become a major research institution.

UT Arlington is what it is today because of talented faculty and staff, motivated students, and dedicated alumni. Our leadership team — deans, vice presidents and many others — is superb, the best I’ve worked with anywhere. If I have been successful, it is because of our collaborative efforts. It has been a joy to work with all of you and to bring attention to your accomplishments. For that opportunity, I want to express my deepest gratitude.

I also want to thank Chancellor Francisco Cigarroa, my colleagues at UT System, the Board of Regents, and my fellow university presidents for their friendship and support. For all the challenges we face, we are fortunate to be part of the finest university system in the country.

With the concurrence of the Chancellor and the Board of Regents, I will continue as president until a successor is selected.  Meantime, let’s stay focused on our mission. There is much work to be done, and our continued progress as a university requires our best efforts. In the words of Robert Frost, whom I quoted eight years ago in my investiture address, we “have promises to keep, and miles to go before we sleep.”

Go Mavericks!

Sincerely,

James D. Spaniolo

Office of the President  ·  300 Davis Hall  ·  Box 19125  ·  Arlington, Texas 76019-0125

[log in to unmask]  ·  817-272-2101 (voice)  ·  817-272-5656 (fax)

University of Texas Arlington

Messages Archive

About James D. Spaniolo

Office of the President