Organizational Review of Office of the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs

If you're having trouble viewing this email, you may see it online.

Office of the President | UT Arlington
spacer

February 12, 2013

Dear Colleagues:

As you are aware, we have been conducting an organizational review of the Office of the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs for the past several months.

A comprehensive review of the organization has not been undertaken in recent memory, despite numerous changes that have occurred—including enrollment growth, research growth, the Tier One initiative, changes in state and federal reporting regulations, and rapid changes in learning technologies.

We have been assisted and guided in the review process by Jean Hood, Vice President for Human Resources, with additional support from an external team led by Gary Frank and Kathy Church, both principals with Strategic Focus Associates. During the past three months, we have met with 110 members of our administration, faculty, and staff—in individual meetings as well as in group meetings. We will continue to work closely together in the months ahead.

This has been a thorough and inclusive process, and we are very satisfied that the new organizational structure that has emerged will serve UT Arlington for years to come. The new structure aligns with best practices employed throughout higher education and will go into effect March 1, 2013.

Following is a brief outline of the new organizational structure, including the major units and individuals that will now be reporting directly to the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs:

Academic Deans
No changes in reporting relationships for deans of colleges and schools.

Division of Research Administration
Dr. Carolyn Cason, Vice President for Research Administration
Dr. Cason will continue to report directly to the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs. There are no changes to this area.

Division of Faculty Affairs
Dr. David J. Silva, Vice Provost for Faculty Affairs
Dr. Silva will continue to be responsible for Faculty Development and Assessment.

Division of Student Affairs
Dr. Frank Lamas, Vice President for Student Affairs
Dr. Lamas will continue to report directly to the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs.

Division of Academic Analytics and Operations
Dr. Dale Wasson, Vice Provost for Academic Analytics and Operations
Dr. Wasson will continue to be responsible for Enrollment Services and will now oversee Institutional Research and Planning.

Division of Digital Teaching and Learning
Dr. Pete Smith, Vice Provost for Digital Teaching and Learning
Dr. Smith will continue with his current responsibilities and will now report directly to the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs.

Division of Information Technology
Dr. Maurice Leatherbury, Vice President for Information Technology
Dr. Leatherbury will be retiring this year. Recruitment for his successor is currently under way, and the new Vice President for Information Technology will report directly to the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs.

Division of University Academic Programs
TBD, Vice Provost for University Academic Programs
A Vice Provost for University Academic Programs will be recruited for this new unit and will report directly to the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs.

Division of Strategic Initiatives
TBD, Vice Provost for Strategic Initiatives
A Vice Provost for Strategic Initiatives will be recruited for this new unit and will report directly to the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs.

University of Texas at Arlington Research Institute
General Rick Lynch, Executive Director and Special Advisor to the President
General Lynch will continue to report jointly to the President and to the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs.

We believe these structural and organizational changes will enable the Office of the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs to better serve the academic mission of the University. Likewise, we have full confidence in the individuals and departments who will be moving into new reporting relationships and joining new teams. We value their many contributions to UT Arlington.

To help you further visualize the reorganization, we are providing an organizational chart. If you have further questions, please feel free to contact us at [log in to unmask] or [log in to unmask].

Thank you for your support as we move forward—and thank you for all that you do to advance UT Arlington.

Sincerely,
James D. Spaniolo
President

Ronald L. Elsenbaumer
Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs

spacer

Office of the President • 300 Davis Hall • Box 19125 • Arlington, Texas 76019-0125

[log in to unmask] • 817-272-2101 (voice) • 817-272-5656 (fax)

spacer