A Message from the President - UT Arlington

Email not displaying correctly? View it in your browser.

Message from the President

Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Happy New Year!

Dear alumni and friends,

Happy New Year! I hope that 2016 brings much joy and success for each of you.

2015 was a wonderful year for UTA. Your university reached new heights related to accomplishments and reputation as our faculty, staff and students excelled in every aspect. We moved even closer to attaining Tier 1 status last year by crossing the threshold of awarding more than 200 Ph.D.s for two years in a row. In the very near future, I will be updating you on additional exciting developments.

UTA awarded 10,564 degrees in the 2014/15 academic year, and 6,298 in summer and fall of 2015. We are now the third highest generator of human capital in the state—a great achievement!

It is said that excellence attracts excellence and this was clearly seen through the top faculty that our departments and colleges recruited through the year. The growth of our faculty aligns with our increase in student enrollment and our strategic plan. Interim Provost Linda Johnsrud has added more than 50 faculty positions for recruitment to continue to grow our strength and critical mass in key areas.

Our research enterprise continues its strong growth under our VP for Research, Dr. Duane Dimos. I hope you are as excited as I am by the news of the impactful discoveries being made by our students and faculty and by the number of large, highly competitive grants and contracts that resulted in our research expenditures rising 11 percent in the last fiscal year. As Mavericks, maintaining the status quo is never enough. We strive not only to provide a transformative educational experience, but to be the Model 21st Century Urban Research University.

2016 promises to be a year of excitement and growth. Under our Vice President for Administration and Campus Operations John Hall, we are engaged in a many new construction projects including the new Career Development Center, the Science and Engineering Innovation Research (SEIR) building and new residence halls and dining facility for the west side of campus.

I will be reaching out to you more often this year and hope this increased communication will enable you to know more about our events, activities and accomplishments. If you’d like to help support our journey through scholarships for our talented students, professorships and chairs for the recruitment and retention of the very best faculty, or enhancement of the facilities in which we enable bold solutions with global impact, please contact our Vice President for Development and Alumni Relations Michael Kingan.

I invite each of you to join in our journey. Please continue to follow our news and please contact our Vice President for Communications Lynne Waters, with ideas for stories you’d like to see or with your own news. We would love to share your stories and accomplishments with the greater Maverick family.

I’m looking forward an awesome 2016 and I hope to see you back on campus very soon. We have a wide variety of events and each of you is bound to find something to interest you. Come see our nationally ranked basketball team before the season ends, or sign up to hear a nationally renowned speaker in our Maverick Speakers Series. Visit the UTA website for more exciting updates!

Sincerely,

Vistasp M. Karbhari
President

Office of the President
300 Davis Hall, Box 19125
Arlington, Texas 76019-0125

817-272-2101 (voice)
817-272-5656 (fax)

Messages Archive   //   About Vistasp M. Karbhari   //   Office of the President

© 2016 The University of Texas at Arlington. All Rights Reserved.

UT Arlington logo