Distinguished MSMR Alumni,

Good afternoon.  I hope this email finds you well.

I am emailing to ask for volunteers for a new effort I'm going to try this year: Alumni Buddies.  I will continue (reinstate, because I never got around to assigning buddies last year) Bob's Buddy Program with current students, but I would like to augment this with alumni buddies as well.  And, of course, we will continue with the Advisory Board Mentor Program.

You should know that 20 students have accepted their admission to the program for the fall semester.  There are another six who have been admitted but have not accepted yet, and there are seven others who are still in the application process.  Furthermore, 16 of the 20 who have accepted (including two MBA students adding MSMR as a dual degree) have been in regular contact with me about housing, funding, and important dates, so I am confident those students will be here in August.

I only expect 21 returning students in the fall, and many of those are on track to graduate in December.  So, I'm looking for ways that I can provide the incoming students with support beyond myself (and beyond the fall semester for those paired with impending graduates).  So, I'm turning to you wonderful professionals.

Those who volunteer would be paired with a current student (new students will get priority, but continuing students will be included if we have enough alumni volunteers) for the 16-17 academic year.  As an Alumni Buddy, you would commit to the following:

  - Initiating contact with the student to introduce yourself and schedule an introductory conversation.

  - Staying in touch with the student throughout the year, ideally at least once a month.

  - Serving as a sounding board/advisor/shoulder for the students as they acclimate to the program and prepare for their careers.

  - Serving as a liaison with me for any students having issues/concerns (basically, help me to know when there are things I may need to know, without violating the student's trust).

  - I welcome any other thoughts/suggestions from you on other ways that you could support the students.

If you are willing to volunteer, please email me by July 15th with your full name, years you were in the program, preferred email address for communication with the student, your current company and location.  I will assemble the list of volunteers, pair each with a student, and send out contact information by the end of the month.

Thank you in advance for considering this request and for your continued support of the program.

SCOTT HANSON, PhD  Program Director, MS in Marketing Research

The University of Texas at Arlington

Box 19469, 701 S. West Street, Arlington, TX  76019-0469

O: 817.272.2340   M: 817.994.6985

http://wweb.uta.edu/marketing/msmr.html