UTA Strategic Plan Presentation

View this email in a browser

Office of the President, UT Arlington

May 10, 2017

Dear Members of the President's Advisory Board:

It has been a very eventful and exciting month since the last meeting of the PAB.  The weekend following the meeting saw our Cheerleading squad win the National Championship for the 4th year in a row and the eSports Club won the Heroes of the Dorm National Championship. Since then, Prof. John Garrigus of the History Department was named a Fellow of the National Humanities Center, Prof. Saiful Chowdhury from Chemistry and Biochemistry was named one of only 14 leading emerging investigators worldwide by the American Society of Mass Spectrometry, Prof. Bob Woods from the Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering department was named a 2017 Piper Professor, and Prof. Ramon Lopez from Physics was recognized as a Fellow of the American Association of Physics Teachers. A UTA student team won the 2017 Brain Bowl beating the defending champions UT Dallas, and UTA senior Frederick Tran won the 2017 Regents’ Outstanding Arts and Humanities Award in Creative Writing, Short Fiction. It would appear that the PAB should meet more often serving as a catalyst for these and other achievements!

For those of you that were here in April, I’d like to thank you for attending the last meeting and for the detailed discussion that took place both as a body and within the three committees. I believe the new structure will serve us well and I’m grateful for the leadership of the three members, Randal Rose, Tamara Hilliard and Shirlee Gandy, who volunteered to serve as chairs of these committees. Summaries of the discussions and action items from each committee are linked to below, and I’d encourage all of you to get involved in these activities. As we discussed, with decreases in state funding, financial support from donors for scholarships, faculty endowments, and facilities will be the difference between an institution being able to serve its mission and excel or lose ground. Your support and participation makes the difference.

PAB Powerpoint Presentation

Thanks to our talented faculty, dedicated staff and the support of alumni and friends, the University of Texas at Arlington is on a tremendous trajectory and I’m pleased that former Mayor Greene’s op-ed in the Star Telegram, discussing our spectacular progress, noted that “all the recent success is but a forerunner to what comes next.” For those who were unable to attend the PAB this overview highlights some of the achievements of our faculty, staff and students, and provides an accompanying video.

With your support and guidance the University is progressing well along its Strategic Plan. This weekend brings graduation ceremonies that will result in our awarding another record number of degrees to highly skilled and qualified students ready to change the world. I’m pleased that we are feeding the Texas, and global, workforce with some of the very best. Your support makes that possible – thank you.

I look forward to seeing you again at the next PAB meeting on September 15, 2017, if not earlier. In the meantime please do not hesitate to contact me if you need any information or have ideas that might assist in the continued rise in excellence of our institution.

Committee Updates

Corporate and Foundation Relations Committee Update (PDF)

Communications and Outreach Committee Update (PDF)

Development and Alumni Relations Committee Update (PDF)

Sincerely,

Vistasp M. KarbhariPresident

Vistasp M. Karbhari
President

-

Office of the President300 Davis Hall • Box 19125 • Arlington, Texas 76019-0125

[log in to unmask] • 817-272-2101 (voice) • 817-272-5656 (fax)