Email not displaying correctly? View it in your browser.

Message from the President

Thursday, August 31, 2017

Harvey: How you can help

Dear Maverick family,

The recent storms have left a path of devastation across a large portion of our state and the aftermath continues to cause significant distress and loss.

Donations to the Emergency Assistance Fund

Thousands of UTA students and their families have been affected and many have contacted us to say they have lost everything they had to Hurricane Harvey and the flooding that followed. As academic accommodations are made for affected students, UTA is also helping through the Emergency Assistance Fund (EAF). The fund is for students who are currently enrolled and require immediate financial assistance due to unforeseen circumstances.

I recognize that many of you have already donated through various outlets to help our fellow Texans. I encourage you to join me in donating to the EAF to help our students in their hour of need. Just as we provide academic excellence to prepare them for their lives, we need to now support them so that they can continue on their path to a degree. To donate and learn more about the EAF, please visit giving.uta.edu/Give. All proceeds will be given to students in need.

Maverick Speakers Series

Next Thursday, September 7, acclaimed actor and UTA alumnus Lou Diamond Phillips will be on campus to open the Maverick Speakers Series. A native of Corpus Christi, Lou will assist us in raising money for EAF and all sales from the Maverick Speakers Series next week will be donated to the EAF. I hope that you will join us at the lecture and even buy VIP dinner tickets to raise funds for this worthy cause.

Additional Resources

Students who have been affected by recent storms are asked to contact [log in to unmask] or call 817-272-6080 during business hours for assistance.

Please remember that UTA is a Community that Cares. We provide a number of programs and services to assist with your needs, including counseling services. Students may seek assistance through Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) and faculty and staff may seek assistance through the Employee Assistance Program (EAP).

Our hearts go out to our Maverick family and our thoughts and prayers are with fellow Texans and Louisianans as they continue rescue and recovery efforts. We salute UTA Police officers who are in Houston assisting our sister universities and our students who have been deployed to serve in the National Guard. As a University, we will continue to do everything in our capacity to help, sustain and provide encouragement to our Maverick family. We are resilient and as a family we will help and support each other to brighter days.

Office of the President
300 Davis Hall, Box 19125
Arlington, Texas 76019-0125

817-272-2101 (voice)
817-272-5656 (fax)

Messages Archive   //   About Vistasp M. Karbhari   //   Office of the President

© 2017 The University of Texas at Arlington. All Rights Reserved.

UT Arlington logo