I'm in.

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

On Wednesday, March 24, 2021, 15:32, Hanson, Scott <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Hey guys,

I was just speaking with a student set to graduate this semester.  We discussed the graduation ceremonies and our collective nervousness about attending the event in person, and neither of us was ready to commit to attending.  That was when I thought about the other students who have not had a chance to walk in the past year.  I'm sorry that you guys have had to pay that price at this time, but I have an idea of how we might be able to have a celebration worthy of our tribe.

There is a little private venue in Arlington (near Grease Monkey, Twisted Root, and J. Gilligan's) that has a small stage, an open dance floor / bingo hall (not too huge), and a kitchen/second room.  A friend of a friend rented it out for his 50th Birthday a couple of years ago and lived out his dream of playing guitar on stage with a (hired) band.  It was pretty cool.

I propose that we rent out that space for the Friday or Saturday after the Advisory Board meeting in the fall.  We could do a party potluck + BYOB, rent a karaoke machine (or create a house band if we have music talent in our midst), and we could have our own graduation ceremony.  Anyone who wants to walk could attend.  Wear your regalia (any regalia), practice your "valedictory" speech, and invite those close to you who didn't get to see you cash in on their investment.  To quote Ted Lasso, "This is gonna be a hoot!"

I would also extend an invitation to any local alumni to join in to cheer and celebrate your colleagues.  And, for those out of market, we could look into setting up a live stream with a zoom station for anyone who wants to reconnect with classmates.  Heck, it's so far away we could do just about anything!  And, because it is a private venue, we can feel comfortable wearing a mask or not as we enjoy a safe-ish night.

Please mark your calendar for October 9/10, 16/17, & 23/24.  (All offers and suggestions are null and void if we haven't gotten things under control and/or in the event of a zombie attack.)

Let me know if you are planning to attend and if you would like to help out.

Signature.Scott.Small.png

SCOTT HANSON, PhD
Program Director, MS in Marketing Research
The University of Texas at Arlington
Box 19469, 701 S. West Street, Arlington, TX  76019-0469
M: 817.994.6985