From: Center for Theory <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Arditi, David M
Sent: Tuesday, March 8, 2022 8:23 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Engram Colloquium 3/23

Colleagues,

The Center for Theory’s next colloquium will be Wednesday, March 23 at noon in UH 418. Dr. Frederick Engram, Jr. will present “Our Liberation Does Not Require Your Permission.” Dr. Engram has a joint appointment in the Center for African American Studies and CRCJ. This will be our first in-person event in 2 years and I’m very excited to see you all. Please circulate the attached flyer to listservs.

Also, mark your calendars. The Center for Theory will host an event May 2nd at 4pm in collaboration with the VP of DEI, CAAS, CMAS, Faculty Affairs, Sociology/Anthropology and English. We will host Dr. Yasmiyn Irizarry, Associate Professor of African and African Diaspora Studies at the University of Texas at Austin. She will be discussing the Cite Black Women Collective and the politics of citation. Our goal is to get faculty across campus thinking about the barriers created by journal prestige, citation practices and selection of research topics. More to come.

Best,

David

Dr. David Arditi

Associate Professor of Sociology

Director of the Center for Theory

University of Texas at Arlington

Author of Getting Signed: Record Contracts, Musicians and Power in Society