Colleagues,

One thing I always discuss in my classes, especially when we go over Gramsci and Du Bois, is that leaders have degrees in the liberal arts. This article in the Washington Post breaks down what members of Congress majored in. Notice there is fully one STEM field represented; that field is Biology, a field hardly meant when politicians mention funding STEM. If they did a broader study of leaders in the government, business, non-profit sector, education, they would find much the same. There is no greater defense of the liberal arts than this chart.

Best,

David

Dr. David Arditi

Associate Professor of Sociology