Get Outlook for Android

From: Gender, Women and Sexuality Studies <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Harp, Dustin M <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Thursday, June 15, 2023 11:49:30 AM
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: More info about the Graduate-level Feminist Theory course (GWSS interdisciplinary)

GWSS 5301-001 Topics in Gender, Women and Sexuality Studies (Feminist Theory) - Thursdays 5:30-8:20 p.m. [Instructor: Dr. Lauren Phelps]

Description: This course is a survey of Feminist Theory intended to be foundational for students in a variety of disciplines looking to engage in feminist scholarship in their respective fields. The course will take a transnational and intersectional approach in covering key concepts and philosophies in the discipline and draws from both historical and contemporary texts. Students will gain an in-depth understanding of influential movements and new developments in feminist thought and praxis.

Textbooks: Feminist Thought: A More Comprehensive Introduction Tong & Botts (available online through the library), Living a Feminist Life Sara Ahmed, primary readings via PDF

Throughout the semester student will read excerpts from a wide range of theory paired with chapters from the Tong and Botts text. For example, Wollstonecraft with Ch 1 on early liberal feminism, hooks with Ch 4, Irigaray with Ch 6, etc. I am also making a point of including both canonical texts and new theory and criticism.

Students will also complete semester long projects over feminist praxis in their own field/research areas. They will research how feminist theory is utilized in their fields of study and seek out opportunities to publish and/or present their own feminist scholarship. They will select a CPF and prepare an abstract, presentation, and paper applying feminist methodologies to a subject of their choosing. (Ideally they will actually submit their work for the publication or conference they choose to build their own CVs as well!)

Please let me know if you have any further questions about the course. I’d be happy to share more or meet to discuss.

Best,

Lauren Sperandio Phelps, PhD (she/her)
English Department
University of Texas at Arlington