SOCI-L Archives

Sociology Students

SOCI-L@LISTSERV.UTA.EDU

From:
"Fatima, Ayesha" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Fatima, Ayesha
Date:
Tue, 18 Jan 2011 09:05:40 -0600

Hello,
Although the spring semester is not quite underway, some of you may be beginning to think about your plans for the summer.  I wanted to make you aware of an opportunity to study sociology abroad in Warsaw, Poland.

I will be teaching two sociology courses (both courses may be taken for undergraduate or graduate credit) during the summer II session in Poland.  The first course is entitled 'Nationalism and National Identity.'  The course will focus on the case of Polish nationalism through several critical periods in Polish history (e.g., the partitions of Poland, WWII, and the collapse of communism).  The second course, 'Observational Methods,' is a qualitative methods course that focuses on observational field methods, visual sociology, and content analysis.  Through everyday observations and site visits in Poland (e.g., to museums and other sites of historical importance), students will observe and document the portrayal of Polish national identity (in the form of a photo essay).  You do not need to speak Polish or know anything about Poland to attend.

We will spend most of our time in Warsaw (Poland's capital city), but there will also be trips to Krakow, Czestochowa, and Oswiecim.  Krakow is one of Poland's oldest cities and its old town area is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.  Czestochowa is the home of the Black Madonna Icon; one of Poland's sacred treasures and the destination for thousands of religious pilgrims every year.  Oswiecim is the location of the Auschwitz-Birkenau Memorial and Museum.

I am still working on securing housing for the courses, but the cost of the trip (including tuition, airfare, room and board) should be around $6,500.  Please note that UTA's McDowell Center is offering study abroad awards of up to $2,000.  The application deadline for this scholarship is January 21.  The scholarship application is available here: http://www.uta.edu/libarts/docs/McDowellCenter2011AwardsApp.pdf.  You can read more about the scholarship here: http://utalibartsnews.wordpress.com/2010/11/22/mcdowell-center-offers-first-round-of-study-abroad-awards/.

You can read more about my courses - and see some of my own photos of Poland - at my web page: http://www.uta.edu/faculty/kunovich/SociologyInWarsaw.htm.  You can apply for these courses at UTA's Study Abroad web page: http://studyabroad.uta.edu/.  The application deadline for the courses is March 1.

If you have any questions, please contact me via e-mail ([log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>) and/or attend the Study Abroad Fair on February 9 (from 11-2 at the UC).

Bob Kunovich
Robert M. Kunovich
Associate Professor of Sociology
Sociology Graduate Advisor
Telephone: 817-272-3796
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Internet: http://www.uta.edu/faculty/kunovich/

To subscribe to SOCI-L, send an electronic mail message to
[log in to unmask] In the body of the message type the
following:

subscribe soci-l your-full-name